Monday, September 02, 2013

Distraction, Disconnection and Disenthrallment

I've been thinking a lot about how we distract ourselves from what is happening. We disconnect from our present lives and we get sucked into anything we can in order to occupy our minds.  We are constantly creating new ways to distract ourselves.  We always have sensory input.  We listen to music while exercising or doing chores.  We watch movies when we have "nothing to do".  We must fill ever moment with some *thing*.

I'm slowly weaning myself from these times of distraction.  Doing dishes without headphones.  Letting my mind wander, trying to bring myself back to the present whenever possible.  Driving in silence.  Reducing smart phone time.  Consistently looking around to pull myself into the present.

Am I perfect at this? No.  I'm a work in progress, just like everyone else.  But it's something to strive for, yes?

No comments: